Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cooking for Others

Friday and Saturday this past weekend I spend some time doing something I don't normally do. I cooked and served others. And it felt darn good. I found the Greater West Hollywood Food Coalition online and talked to Ted, the volunteer organizer, about the opportunities there. Friday night I loaded up the truck at the kitchen, which looked to be an out of business pita shop, and went a few blocks away to a West Hollywood corner. We pulled out our own tables and trashcans and there I served chicken, rice and beans to about 75 homeless, working poor, and down and out men and women. I was told that 75 isn't very many. By the end of the month when the money runs out for these folks, there can be up to 150 people in line for a hot meal. In addition to my serving station, we also had salad, soup, bread, and dessert. Many of the folks there were so grateful. Most of the servers come at least once a week, so the regulars in the line made a special point to say "hi" to me. One older gentleman even approached me while we were cleaning up (by the time we left, everything was spotless, and you couldn't even tell we had been there) and told me that I was very pretty. They really know how to get a girl to come back!

On Saturday, I was invited to return in the early afternoon to help with the cooking - a dream come true! Is there a better way to spend an afternoon than cooking for others who may not be eating?!? I think not. I didn't get to cook much, but it was so satisfying knowing that my 5 dessert trays full of gourmet cupcakes (donated from a local bakery) and my two huge catering-sized casserole dishes of rice and beef cubes (donated from Chipotle mexican restaurant) would be providing a hot meal to some folks in need.

I'm planning on being a new regular on the line. Is it too late to add "Service" to my New Year's Resolution list?

3 comments:

  1. Glad you decided to step out and do this Megan. That is what keeps most people from helping.

    ReplyDelete