I don't remember that last time I posted on this blog, so I thought I should update everyone as to what is going on in my life.
First, the recent events. Last night Meg and I joined the Davidson alumni group in Southern California at the LA Clippers vs. Golden State Warriors game to watch fellow Davidson alum Stephen Curry. Events with Davidson alumni groups are always fun; there's a special bond that brings us all together and its amazing how easy it is to converse with complete strangers who share that bond. Anyways, the game was fun, even if the Warriors lost, and Steph played great, racking up 32 points and 8 assists. I had a chance to see two old teammates of mine and catch up. Plus, this is our second event with the SoCal group, so we're starting to see some familiar faces and get to know people a little bit.
The thing that's been dominating my life right now is recruiting. It's only January and I'm already well into the search for a summer internship. Last week alone I had three interviews: LEK Consulting, Abbott Labs and Intuitive Surgical. This week I've got six more, with a variety of healthcare and consulting companies (plus Mattel, just for kicks). I've already heard one "no" (LEK), but felt good about the Abbott and Intuitive interviews. We'll see how the six next week go, but I'm already planning ahead and have applied for a couple more just in case.
In total, I think I've applied to about 25 jobs (with 7 responses still outstanding). Those 25 "resume drops" require not only customized resumes, but also customized cover letters. In order to customize a cover letter, not only do I need to research the firm and job, but it helps to talk to either current employees or second year students who interned with the firm last year. Setting up those talks takes some time, but really,I just hate trying to come up with interesting questions. I usually can answer any questions I have simply by research a firm, and asking questions like "What's a typical day like?" just doesn't do anything for anyone because the answer is usually "There is no typical day."
I'll be glad when this is all over and I have an internship. And I know Meg will be too. Even though I only have three classes this quarter (vs. five last quarter) I seem to have less time for her. I'm trying to make time - carving out 30 minutes for dinner or an hour for a walk, but I know she would like to see more of me (and me more of her). Hopefully I'll have more time when this ends in a couple of weeks. If not, I'll have to rethink how I organize my time.
Good luck with the rest of your interviews. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteSounds great! When should I come for dinner?
ReplyDeleteSmooth! I can't wait till you start making toys for mattel.
ReplyDelete