Sunday, January 9, 2011

Movie Review: The King's Speech

Meg and I decided to get out of the apartment today and headed out to the movies. Even though Meg had previously expressed interest in seeing Black Swan, I was able to convince her that our quarterly movie outing (that's about how often we get out) should be spent on viewing something we both really wanted to see. So we went down to Marina Del Ray and saw The King's Speech. For those of you who haven't heard of it (and I'm guessing that is a lot of you), its a British flick about Prince Albert (aka King George VI) and his struggle to overcome a stammer. It's one of those typical movies that no one has ever heard of, but that gets nominated for all kinds of Oscars. Colin Firth plays the monarch with Geoffrey Rush filling the role of the speech therapist. Both are two actors who, at least for me, are easily recognizable, not but easily identified by name. Regardless, they both were great in The King's Speech, and Meg and I, in our infinite expertise, would not be surprised to see both nominated for numerous awards. Overall, it’s an excellent movie and we both highly recommend that everyone go see it.

On a different note, it’s been a busy week for me. I spent most of last week writing cover letters for summer internship applications. In total, I've now applied for 20 internships, with 3 negative responses and 2 invitations to interview. I should hear back from another 5 or so this week and I'll "drop" my resume for another 5-8 (depending on how much time I have and how many more cover letters I actually want to write). The primary reason I'm applying for so many is that my Plan A and Plan B have similar deadlines, so I'm applying for some jobs that are lower priorities just because I haven't heard yet from my top choices. This round of drops will finish in a week or two with interviews running through mid to late February. If this round doesn't work out, "Just-in-Time" recruiting starts in March and runs through June. Hopefully, something will work out and I won't have to worry about recruiting in the spring.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THE MOVIE REVIEWS! KEEP THEM COMING!

    And go see Black Swan!

    ReplyDelete