Since I started here at Anderson I have been told repeatedly that the point of business school is not to learn, but to build a network and find a job. (Under this view, it makes sense that the acronym for business school is BS). Essentially, they say that grades really don't matter, the time I spent studying for the GMAT was a waste and that I should be networking and socializing as much as possible.
Well, that wisdom was put to the test last week as we plowed through midterm exams. They started the previous Thursday with Accounting, which tested our knowledge of direct and indirect method cash flows, balance sheets and ratios. We had a small reprieve for the weekend, but then dived head first into three tests in three days starting on Wednesday with Managerial Economics (which ended up being an hour and a half of setting marginal revenue equal to marginal cost). Stats followed on Thursday, which baffled the majority of us, and midterms ended with a nice three hour marketing final on Friday at 8am analyzing Vistakon's introduction of 1 Day Acuvue contact lenses.
It's tough to believe, but I am now 1/12 of the way done with business school, and have already collected four of the 96 credits I need to graduate. Recruiting is just starting to heat up, and my schedule for November is filling up quickly with corporate recruiting events. When I get my graded tests back in a week or two and can compare those results with the results of my networking activities, I'll know if I've been spending too much time with my books or with my classmates.
My bet is that the ones that think grades aren't important are the ones at the lower end of the grade curve. Having been there and done that I can tell you the grades are important because you are working only in your chosen area of vocation. The grades aren't everything, but recruiters will expect to see candidates that excell in what the undertake.
ReplyDelete