Mike is in the middle of midterm madness right now. He has one today, tomorrow and Friday. He has been very diligently studying over the past few days. This of course has very little to do with me, except that I try to stay out of his way while he is doing this. So last night while he and his books were sprawled across the kitchen table I laid on the couch watching TV. My show of choice last night was Glee. It was a good episode featuring Rocky Horror Picture Show music and mayhem. At the conclusion, I decided I was going to watch the real thing. Yes, that's right, I have this cult classic on DVD. So I popped in Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon and Meatloaf, added the "audience participation" captions (e.g. "Throw Rice", "Squirt Water Guns'") and did the Time Warp for about an hour and a half. I had forgotten how weird that movie is. Especially the end when the aliens start shooting lasers out of pitchforks.
There is a small movie theater down Santa Monica that we think plays a midnight viewing of Rocky Horror every Saturday night. I sort of want to go to one, just to see if people still dress up and dance. I'm also scared to go because people might actually dress up and dance. Has anyone been to a show and either witnessed or participated in costumes, toast throwing, or any other Rocky Horror activity?
I have never been, but heard many second hand accounts. The virgin viewing is will explained in Steven Chbosky's a-little-too-precious Perks of Being a Wallflower. (A great read! and like 150 pages! Read it!)
ReplyDeleteMiss you guys!
I've been to Rocky about a dozen times between the show that used to be in Sac and the old Berkeley show. People dress up, throw toast (depends on the theater), and scream at the screen. It's a great time that I highly recommend. I've never dressed up and while some people look at me a little weird at first they warm right up when I know all of the lines to yell at the screen.
ReplyDeleteOh and I own Rocky too...along with "Shock Treatment" which is the sequel.