"
L'shanah tovah," meaning "for a good year," is one of many new words and phrases I learned over the past week and a half. This is the first year that I've celebrated the High Holy Days, including Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, with Mike. Last week, we went to the
UCLA Hillel for
Rosh Hashanah service, and yesterday we celebrated
Yom Kippur (I've included links for those that aren't familiar with the significance of these days. I know I wasn't so I've been doing lots of reading.) I was looking forward to the holidays this year as a chance to better understand the Jewish faith and traditions. I now know just enough to realize how little I know. The services I attended were full of symbolism and tradition, unfamiliar songs and prayers, horns and scrolls (the
Torah), not to mention a different language and alphabet, and I was continually whispering to Mike "What is this?" and "Why do you do that?".
I strongly believe that it is important - perhaps critical - to understand and appreciate religions and traditions other than one's own. It can provide a small glimpse into the minds and motivations of entire races of people. In my case, I learned more about my future husband and his family, and for this I'm very grateful. I was also able to participate in some of the traditions - casting bread into the ocean, touching the Torah with the service book, and while I didn't fast I did partake in the break the fast dinner with Mike and one of our friends.
Finally a fun fact: according to the Hebrew calendar we have just entered the year 5771.
Many things carry in common with both or your faiths, including the fact that it is the same God that you worship. Some Christians fail to understand that the first Covenants were with the Hebrew people and that these Covenants are still in place. God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
ReplyDelete