Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Crate and Barrel

Let me start off this post by saying that gift registries befuddle me. When buying gifts for significant events for others, it seems like a great idea. I know what someone wants, in what style, what color, and how many. It is a nice feeling contributing something to someone's everyday life that you know they will use and appreciate. But the idea of me personally putting together a list of things I want... well, it feels weird.

Sunday morning Mike and I headed to Beverly Hills, a block off Rodeo drive, to go to a Crate and Barrel engagement/registry party. Party is the wrong word - they gave us danishes and mimosas and a scanner and said "The store is closed for the next two hours. We have folks making juice and espresso and pancakes... go have fun, and go register!" So it was more like a cheesy "buy our stuff, and tell others to buy you our stuff" kind of gathering than a party. But, I have to say that I sort of had a good time, especially in the kitchen stuff (shocker). There are so many gizmos and gadgets that I don't need, but would be really cool if I had to play with in the kitchen. Some things that we do need we ended up not registering for there. For example, it would be great to have an even number of plates and bowls that matched. Or real drinking glasses instead of the plastic cups we've saved from basketball games in college and Nat's games from DC. Or more than three wineglasses (collectively, we started with 8 when we moved to DC, but we tend to break them often. Ironically only when washing them, not when drinking out of them). Anyways, despite feeling weird about the whole thing, we ended up with breakfast, mimosas, a pair of heart-shaped champaign flutes as a "thank you for coming", and another topic to post about on the blog!

3 comments:

  1. Your Mother and I have been married for over 30 years now and my favorite glasses to use are the big Braves cups that I get at the ball games. Unfortunately, the Braves have not used the big plasic cups for several years and mine are starting to give out. Mom was given an assignment just last week to find replacement glasses of a similar size. Harder to do than you might expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When picking kitchen items, remember that if you use the item, it is a tool; if it sits in the drawer, it's a gadget. A good carpenter always uses tools to produce great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, those are such wise words, and a great justification for my growing collection. Thank you, too, for your recent additions!

    ReplyDelete