Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Up in Flames

I've been boring lately. Until tonight. I've been on a cooking kick over the last few days. That came to a screeching halt this evening. I bought some chicken thighs awhile back in bulk (won't do that again) and needed to cook the last six. So I slathered on some BBQ sauce and threw them on the grill. And a few minutes later when I went back to check them... they were on fire. Serious fire, spouting out of the closed grill, licking at the wooden railing, smoke threatening to infest the entire apartment building. I was totally prepared to put out the fire... if it was in the kitchen. Smother it with another pan! Air still gets in the bottom, sides, through the grill. Baking soda! I don't have enough and it is back inside. Ummm.... turn off the burners! Done, and fire still raging. Shut off the gas! Fire still going strong. Ummmm...... right, move the chicken! Surprisingly, it wasn't even burnt. Ok, fire getting under control, and getting smaller by the second. Maybe... blow on it? Sure, why not. Out like a candle.

Now the chicken is safely in the oven. I'm shaking like a leaf. And I'm leaving the grill to Mike for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I can just see you running around wildly trying to put the thing out!! LOL I bet it wasn't funny at the time, but it sounds kinda funny now. :)

    ReplyDelete