- Worst Road Maintenance: Oklahoma Obama, please give them some stimulus money, it felt like we were riding on cobblestones for the whole state.
- Best Stretch of Road on Which to Drive: Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway Beautiful scenery, beautiful weather, no traffic, high speeds.
- Worst Stretch of Road on which to Drive: I-40 Memphis to Little Rock There were more trucks on the road than cars, they were all going slow, and with only 2 lanes, it put a serious damper on our average daily speed.
- Best Highway Scenery: I-40 in New Mexico See previous posts as to why, but it was gorgeous.
- Best Food Stop: Owl Cafe (Albuquerque, NM) which puts green chili on everything, and Mary's Cafe (Flagstaff, AZ) which served the best egg and chorizo tacos on earth.
- Top Speed: 86 MPH, reached by both of us at one time or another, mostly on accident.
- Best Road Name: Zzyzx Road (CA). We don't even know how to pronounce it but it is awesome. It is the first exit in CA on I-15 coming from Vegas and I think the one person who lives off this road, some 10 miles from the interstate, thought to himself "screw you, I'm not putting vowels in my road name."
- Best Rest Stop: New Mexico with its friendly staff, who insisted on having a conversation with everyone that walked in the door.
- Cheapest Gas: $2.49 in Oklahoma
- Most Expensive Gas: $3.55 in CA right before the Grapevine on the last stretch going into LA
- Coolest Cargo: Blade for a wind turbine (NM). There were three, each on their own truck, and they were so long that I'm not sure how they are able to make any turns on regular roads.
- Most Entertaining 5 Miles: Chasing a clown who was riding a motorcycle in full costume and makeup (we have picture evidence) on Hwy 99 outside Stockton, CA
- Least Entertaining 5 Miles: the first 5 miles on Hwy 50 in West Virginia, which included the accident
- Most Insects Killed in One Day: 376,028 on the 900 mile day. I think we could potentially be arrested for insecticide
A detailed account of our adventure being unemployed and moving West to the land of fruit and nuts.
Monday, August 30, 2010
Superlatives
Yes, it's high school all over again. But here are the superlatives for our trip.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Very cute and clever Michael, especially the insect comment. It was so you.
ReplyDelete