Sunday, May 29, 2011

Le Tour de Strand

Last Saturday, Anderson hosted Le Tour de Strand, a pub crawl with a twist: instead of walking or being shuttled between bars, we biked. With seven bars that stretched from Santa Monica all the way down to Hermosa Beach, Le Tour de Strand is an all day event that brings together current students, Sig-O's and alumni.

Including the ride from our apartment (point A on the map below) to the first bar and then along the route to the last bar, we biked about 19 miles, 16 or so which were right along the beach. It was a beautiful and sunny day, not too hot, and they scenery was splendid as was the company.



One of the funniest parts of the ride happened as soon as we arrived at the first stop. We didn't realized that this was a costume-encouraged event. There was a giant chicken and a giant banana, cowgirls, cops, neon yellow leaders (who got us lost once), a hula girl on roller blades and a boy in a tutu. I was in my sensible tennis shoes and layers because it was chilly in the morning and I had a backpack full of water, snacks and sunscreen. I'm already planning for next year's costume so I can make up for this year's nerdiness.

It was a long ride that lasted 9 hours, and we were SO tired by the end. So tired in fact, that we somehow  convinced our good friend to load our bikes into his car and drive us home (don't worry, he had not been riding or drinking that day).

I had to practically drag Mike to this event, but by the end of the day, we both agreed that it is now one of our Top Three All Time Favorite activities from this past year. We will definitely be Tour de Strand-ing again next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment