Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving

As Meg mentioned on Wednesday, we're in Atlanta for Thanksgiving. We flew in late on Wednesday night and I leave late tomorrow night, while Megan is staying until Tuesday. We had a great extended weekend here, full of food, family, friends and some cards. My parents came down from Harrisburg, and Meg's sister Elaine and her boyfriend Isaac drove in from North Carolina, so we had eight people for a great Thanksgiving meal.

Since we are combining two families with our engagement, we thought it only appropriate to include other family traditions for Thanksgiving. On Thursday night, all of us went over to Dale and Susan's house (friends of Kevin and Julie - Meg's parents) for some drinks and an annual poker tournament. Even with 22 entrants, both Megan and I made the final table of 9, with Megan getting knocked out in 5th place while I claimed 2nd. My finish was worth $70, so not a bad way to spend a few hours.

On Friday evening, the Miller's came over for more food and more cards. Gary Miller and Kevin grew up together and have remained friends all these years. Gary and Cathy, their two daughters and their significant others all came over, so Kevin fired up the grill and BBQ'ed some burgers and bacon wrapped shrimp for everyone. After dinner and drinks, we pulled out some cards and played Shanghai (a mix of rummikub and something else). Meg redeemed her 5th place poker finish with a victory in Shanghai.

Today we took it easy and stayed home most of the day. I got some school work done (thanks Finance professor for assigning not one, but two problem sets over Thanksgiving break), Megan and her mom and sister put together a puzzle, and Kevin got a much needed nap.

As I said, I leave tomorrow, bit its been a great weekend. It was nice to have my family spend some time with Meg's family. Even though they've met a couple of times before, the two sets of parents haven't really had a chance to get to know one another much, so we appreciated everyone agreeing to spend this holiday together. Hopefully in a few years Megan and I can invite everyone to our place (wherever it may be) for a fun Thanksgiving weekend together.

1 comment:

  1. Dad and I had a great time Thanksgiving weekend Mike. A big thanks to our gracious hosts and chefs, Julie, Kevin, Megan and Elaine.

    ReplyDelete